On Tuesday afternoon AJ Allmendinger has released a statement in reaction to NASCAR’s reaction to the results of a mandatory drug test.
|AJ Allmendinger, Penske Racing. (Photo: NASCAR)
While NASCAR says that he failed the test it did not disclose what prohibited substance was found.
Under NASCAR procedures the sample is divided into an “A” and “B” sample.
Anyone, driver, crew member or official has the right to request that the “B” sample is also tested.
Allmendinger’s statement reads:
"I have informed NASCAR that I have requested that the 'B' sample be tested, following the steps according to NASCAR's 2012 rule book regarding this situation. I fully respect NASCAR's drug usage policy and the reasons they have it.
I am hoping this can get resolved as quickly as possible so that I can get back to driving the No. 22 Penske Racing Dodge. I am sorry that this has caused such a distraction for my Penske Racing team, our sponsors and fans.
Obviously I would never do anything to jeopardize my opportunity here at Penske Racing or to my fellow drivers. I am very conscious about my training and health and would never knowingly take a prohibited drug."
Earlier in the day Penske Racing Team owner, Roger Penske, said on SiriusXM radio “We’re standing behind him until we hear the results.”
Due to the NASCAR suspension Penske Racing announced yesterday that Sam Hornish Jr. who filled in for Allmendinger in Saturday night’s Coke Zero 400, will also fill-in at this week’s race in New Hampshire.