Frenchman Romain Grosjean topped the timing sheets Thursday in the third and final day of the mid-season Formula 1testing held at Mugello in Italy.
Grosjean's time was the quickest any driver managed across the three days.
“After looking at the data from yesterday, we ran further back-to-back tests on our suspension configurations. Track conditions were better today as a result of yesterday’s running. We stopped early for lunch so that we could change the suspension and be out running straight away in the afternoon session. In the afternoon we also assessed some new floor updates applicable for Barcelona, as well as a rear suspension update fitted late in the day. Mugello is also an excellent circuit for doing aerodynamic evaluation, so it has been time well spent here,” said Alan Permane, Trackside Operations Director at Lotus.
Sebastian Vettel finished the day in second place in his Red Bull-Renault RB8. The team explained that they managed to get through its full planned programme, which, like yesterday, focused largely on aerodynamic testing.
Spaniard Fernando Alonso was third fastest in the Ferrari F2012.
“Today’s programme centred on experimenting with some new aerodynamic components introduced on the F2012, as well as a study of the behaviour of the Pirelli tires. An off-track excursion in mid-morning caused damage to the front wing and the left front corner, which took two and a half hours to repair,” said the team press release.
Scuderia Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo closed to within two tenths of a second of Alonso in the afternoon, ending the day fourth fastest.
Mexican Sergio Perez finished six tenths of a second down the road in fifth, having triggered one of several red flags on the final day when his Sauber stopped on the main straight at the exit of the pit lane.
Mid-season testing, Mugello, Day 3, times*:
1. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m21.035s
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.267s
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.363s
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.604s
5. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m22.229s
6. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m22.325s
7. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m22.497s
8. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.579s
9. Oliver Turvey McLaren-Mercedes 1m22.662s
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m23.002s
11. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m23.169s
12. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m23.466s