It was the first day of practice Monday at Sebring for the first group of selected IndyCar teams and Andretti Autosport's Ryan Hunter-Reay was the fastest on-board the DW12.
IndyCar Series' officials have decided to divide in two separate groups all the teams and drivers for this occasion with a first group testing on Monday and Tuesday and the second one on Thursday and Friday.
Hunter-Reay and Penske's Helio Castroneves ended up the fastest drivers on their Chevrolet-powered Dallara.
"I think the lap times at St Pete will be quicker, and this car will certainly go faster and faster as we develop it." stated Hunter-Reay.
Simon Pagenaud (Schmidt-Hamilton) was the quickest of the Honda runners in third, ahead of Andretti new boy James Hinchcliffe and Penske duo Ryan Briscoe and Will Power, the latter's car suffering a small fire in the afternoon.
Things were not going well for the Lotus group as Dragon Racing's Sebastien Bourdais was unable to run at all as his engine was not ready, and Simona de Silvestro (HVM) only managed 31 laps due to a misfire.
Pos Driver Team/Car/Engine Time*
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 52.5826s
2. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet 52.7092s
3. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 52.7311s
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 52.9125s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet 52.9275s
6. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet 53.0512s
7. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda 53.1770s
8. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 53.2814s
9. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 53.9260s
10. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 54.5640s