9. (1) No person shall operate a vehicle equipped with studded tires
on a highway unless all of the following conditions are met:
1. The vehicle is operated during the period starting on October 1 and ending on April 30.
2. The permit holder of the vehicle is,
i. a resident of Northern Ontario,
ii. a corporation with a business premise in Northern Ontario, as shown by the address on the plate portion of the vehicle permit,
iii. a municipal corporation having jurisdiction and control of a highway or portion of a highway located in Northern Ontario,
iv. a road authority having jurisdiction and control of a highway or portion of a highway located in Northern Ontario,
v. a district school board in Northern Ontario,
vi. a school authority in Northern Ontario,
vii. Her Majesty the Queen in right of Ontario, or
viii. not a resident of Ontario and the vehicle is in Ontario for no longer than 30 days.
3. In the case of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating equal to or less than 3,500 kilograms, all vehicle wheels are equipped with studded tires
4. In the case of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 3,500 kilograms, studded tires
are either on all vehicle wheels or on only the vehicle wheels on one axle, and the vehicle is,
i. an ambulance, police vehicle or fire department vehicle,
ii. a school bus,
iii. a public utility emergency vehicle, or
iv. a road service vehicle as defined in section 133 of the Act.
5. The studs meet the specifications listed in paragraph i or ii as follows:
i. The studs,
A. are evenly embedded during tread manufacture,
B. do not protrude more than 2.0 millimetres,
C. have an aggregate object exposed surface area of 3 per cent of the tread surface area or less, and
D. have an exposed surface area variability between tires of the same size of no greater than 25 per cent.
ii. The studs,
A. are securely and safely embedded after tread manufacture in pin-holes moulded in any part of the tread other than the middle one-third,
B. are inserted in a tire that after manufacturing or remoulding has never been driven on a vehicle,
C. have only one peak per stud and no hollow part, and
D. meet the stud specifications applicable to the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle on which the studded tires
are mounted, as set out in the Table.