Denis Coderre, the mayor of Montreal, said Tuesday during a press conference that he expects to see the new Formula E Championship make a stop in Montreal next year.
This new FIA series showcases identical single seaters powered by electric motors.
The championship was launched earlier this year with races held in major international cities such as Los Angeles, London, Moscow and Beijing.
According to a story posted on Radio-Canada’s web site on Wednesday, Mr. Coderre is confident of seeing these totally silent race cars run in Montreal in September 2016.
"I met the organizers of the series and for me, it's a done deal. It is no longer whether, but when it will happen. I tell you that it will happen. There will be a Formula E race here in Montreal. A race in September 2016 would be a good rehearsal for the 375th anniversary of Montreal a year after, "said Mayor Coderre.
Mr. Coderre admitted, however, that nothing had been signed yet. However, he added that an agreement needed not necessary to be written. "I tell you that it's coming," Coderre insisted.
One question concerns the location of the race. Will it be held one the Gilles Villeneuve circuit of Île Notre-Dame or on the city streets, as required by the sporting regulations of the Formula E series?