Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden was, for the third time this week, on top of the time sheets at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Newgarden clocked his fastest run at 222.785 mph, putting him just ahead of Andretti Autosport trio Marco Andretti (222.108 mph), Ryan Hunter-Reay (221.763 mph), and James Hinchcliffe (221.638 mph).
But not everything went as planned for Newgarden as he lost control of his Dallara just 16 minutes before the end of the six hour session and spun through 720 degrees before glancing against the barriers.
Meanwhile, neither the Simona de Silvestro (HVM Racing) and Jean Alesi (Fan Force United) were able to lap any faster than 205mph on the fifth day of practice at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The Lotus-powered cars are currently 10mph behind the next slowest car, and more than 17 mph off the pace being set by the frontrunners.
IndyCar officials have denied that they have allowed Lotus to use a new boost setting in order to increase the power on their engines.
Also, rumours abound that Dragon Racing with its drivers Sebastian Bourdais and Katherine Legge could be on track today behind the wheel of their Chevrolet-powered Dallara DW12.
Indianapolis 500 Practice Day-5
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Josef Newgarden Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing 40.3977s
2. Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport 40.5208s +0.1231
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport 40.5839s +0.1862
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Autosport 40.6067s +0.2090
5. Dario Franchitti Chip Ganassi Racing 40.6095s +0.2118
6. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne Racing 40.6468s +0.2491
7. Bryan Clauson Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing 40.7182s +0.3205
8. Charlie Kimball Chip Ganassi Racing 40.7404s +0.3427
9. Takuma Sato Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing 40.7506s +0.3529
10. Sebastian Saavedra AFS Racing/Andretti Autosport 40.7605s +0.3628
11. JR Hildebrand Panther Racing 40.7761s +0.3784
12. Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing 40.7948s +0.3971
13. Tony Kanaan KV Racing Technology 40.8525s +0.4548
14. Graham Rahal Chip Ganassi Racing 40.8648s +0.4671
15. Alex Tagliani Bryan Herta Autosport 40.8980s +0.5003
16. Wade Cunningham A.J. Foyt Enterprises 40.9192s +0.5215
17. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Hamilton Motorsports 40.9459s +0.5482
18. Ana Beatriz Andretti Autosport 40.9536s +0.5559
19. Townsend Bell Sam Schmidt Motorsports 40.9605s +0.5628
20. Michel Jourdain Jr. Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing 41.0434s +0.6457
21. Oriol Servia Panther Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 41.0919s +0.6942
22. Ed Carpenter Ed Carpenter Racing 41.1108s +0.7131
23. Helio Castroneves Team Penske 41.3404s +0.9427
24. Will Power Team Penske 41.3596s +0.9619
25. Mike Conway A.J. Foyt Enterprises 41.4304s +1.0327
26. Rubens Barrichello KV Racing Technology 41.5243s +1.1266
27. Ryan Briscoe Team Penske 41.6175s +1.2198
28. E.J. Viso KV Racing Technology 41.7611s +1.3634
29. Jean Alesi Fan Force United 43.8193s +3.4216
30. Simona de Silvestro HVM Racing 43.9005s +3.5028