http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1283.shtml

Comme on le disait si bien:
The Jetta, like the Passat, has always had a fairly unique position in the U.S. market. It doesn't seem to sit in any single easily defined market segment. As Len Hunt, Volkswagen of America's Executive Vice President and former head of Audi of America, pointed out, "When I was at Audi it was easy. We had A4, A6 and A8 and they competed with 3, 5 and 7 at BMW. When I came to Volkswagen and asked what the Jetta's main competitors were, I got ten minute answers." The Jetta falls across a number of segments that are given all sorts of wonderful moving target names like "near-luxury" and "premium compact" and "near compact premium luxury" (ok, we made that last one up…). But the Jetta couldn't be pigeon holed into any one segment. The Civic and Corolla seem to be the most logical based on size, but not based on features and price. Plus, the Jetta has been available with a V6, something you can't get in the compact car segment. But at the other end it isn't as big as an Accord, Camry, 3 Series BMW or even an Audi A4. If Peugeot and Renault were still sold here in the States, Volkswagen's competition would be a lot clearer, but as things currently stand, the Jetta is still something of an enigma, marketing-wise.