Former Force India Formula 1 driver, German Adrian Sutil has been found guilty of grievous bodily harm against businessman Eric Lux, co-owner of the Lotus team in an incident that occurred in a Shanghai nightclub last year.
Sutil, who lost his ride with the Force India team late last year to reserve driver Nico Hulkenberg, was found guilty of injuring Lux with a broken champagne glass. The businessman needed several stitches for a neck wound.
Judge Christiane Thiemann of a Munich court found Sutil guilty and gave him an 18-month suspended sentence and a 200,000 euros ($260 000) fine. Sutil's fine will be given to charities.
The 29-year-old F1 driver had told the court on the first day of proceedings on Monday that he had repeatedly apologised to Lux, chief executive of the Renault F1 team owners Genii Capital, and denied it was his intention to hurt him but rather to throw a drink in his face.
UPDATE (from GMM)
Adrian Sutil's manager Manfred Zimmermann, however, said the path is clear for his client to resume his career.
"This (conviction) does not mean Adrian has no future in formula one. There will be no consequences with the FIA and his driving ability has never suffered."
"The only positive thing is that I am now at peace with Mr Lux. At least it's over," Sutil said after Tuesday's hearing.
"Maybe I'll take a break, maybe I'll do something completely different."
Judge Christiane Thiemann said Sutil is lucky not to be heading to jail.
"Penalties exceeding one year are normally not suspended," said the judge, explaining that Sutil's current situation and his clean criminal record were taken into consideration.
Thiemann added that the punishment is "sufficient" and would probably have "serious professional consequences" for the F1 driver.