No one could stop David Higgins, not even him, from taking a fourth win at the Oregon Trail Rally.
Higgins' main rivals, multi-time Canadian champions Antoine L'Estage and Nathalie Richard, had to retire on stage 7. The pair is already at its second retirement of the season, in three rallies.
Their bad luck pushed fellow Canadian regulars Crazy Leo Urlichich and Carl Williamson up to second. When Higgins and his co-driver Craig Drew went off the road at high speed, bending a control arm, Urlichich and Williamson weren't close enough to capitalize on the mistake.
"I thought I was done for when I went off," said Higgins.
"But my team got me back on the road. I couldn't have done it without them. I'm so proud to win four Oregon Trail Rallies. I'm getting up there with Ken Block in wins at single events!" said Higgins.
2011 Rally America rookie of the year, Adam Yeoman, drove to third place in the overall standings, with the help of his co-driver Jordan Schulze.
Belgian Group N champion David Sterckx and his co-driver Karen Jankowski pulled off a class win in Super Production. The 2WD class was also won by an oversea pairing, in Australians Will Orders and Toni Feaver. Canadian Andrew Comrie-Picard took second behind them.
Results – Oregon Trail Rally (Rally America)
1. David Higgins / Craig Drew (2012 Subaru WRX STI) in 1h42min46.6s
2. Leonid Urlichich / Carl Williamson (2007 Subaru Beast) + 4min25.9s
3. Adam Yeoman / Jordan Schulze (2002 Subaru Impreza) + 10min20.2s
4. (1.) Will Orders / Toni Feaver (1989 Nissan Silvia) + 12min30.9s
5. (2.) Andrew Comrie-Picard / Jeremy Wimpey (2011 Scion xD) + 14min15.2s
6. (1.) David Sterckx / Karen Jankowski (2011 Subaru STI) + 14min16.2s
7. (2.) Dave Henderson / Terrence McDowell (2004 Subaru Impreza) + 14min47.1s
8. (3.) Edward McNelly / Terrence McDowell (2004 Subaru Impreza) + 18min54.1s
9. (3.) Chris O'Driscoll / Lori O'Driscoll (2007 Subaru WRX) + 22min39.1s.
10. (4.) Verena Mei / Leanne Junnila (2011 Ford Fiesta) + 39min03.7s
Source: Rally America