Adapted from wrc.com
Two-time FIA World Rally Champion Marcus Gronholm has admitted he is still tempted by a return to the WRC.
Speaking to WRC Live’s Becs Williams during the recent Rally Finland, Gronholm, a seven-time winner of the event said he “got the urge many times” to make a WRC comeback.
The 44-year-old, still recuperating following his accident in the X Games in Los Angeles last month, was a visitor to his home round of the world championship.
“I decided on Friday afternoon to come up to Jyvaskyla,” said Gronholm, who claimed 30 wins from 152 starts during his lengthy stint in global rallying’s top tier. “It’s not easy to stay here and not drive but finally it’s nice to be here and see old friends. I’m happy I decided to come.”
Gronholm has tackled two World Rally rounds since retiring from full-time competition at the end of the 2007 season. He revealed he drove a version of MINI’s John Cooper Works WRC in initial testing but otherwise had no knowledge of the latest-generation World Rally Cars.