Cons: The suspension is a bit stiff, compromising ride quality. And while the V6 is an honest worker, the 4-cylinder proves quite noisy, unrefined and underpowered.
2015 Toyota Tacoma Price: There are four trim levels to choose from including 4x2 Access Cab at $25,650, 4x4 Access Cab at $30,545, 4x4 Access Cab V6 at $31,695, and 4x4 Double Cab V6 at $32,035.
2015 Toyota Tacoma Fuel Economy: Official fuel consumption ratings for the Tacoma are:
- 4x2 Access Cab 5MT – 11.5L/100km (city); 9.5L/100km (highway);
- 4x2 Access Cab 4AT – 12.2L/100km (city); 9.9L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Access Cab 5MT – 12.9L/100km (city); 11.5L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Access Cab 4AT – 13.1L/100km (city); 12.2L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Access Cab V6 6MT – 15.3L/100km (city); 12.3L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Access Cab V6 5AT – 14.8L/100km (city); 11.6L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Double Cab V6 6MT – 15.3L/100km (city); 12.3L/100km (highway);
- 4x4 Double Cab V6 5AT – 14.8L/100km (city); 11.6L/100km (highway).
2015 Toyota Tacoma Powertrain: Under the hood of the Tacoma is a standard 2.7L DOHC 4-cylinder engine that produces a mere 159 horsepower. Transmission choices include a 5-speed manual and a 4-speed automatic. If you want more power, turn to the 4.0L DOHC V6, which is rated at 236 horsepower. In this case, both the manual and automatic transmissions offer an extra gear. As mentioned, the Tacoma is also available in 4x2 and 4x4 configurations.
Capabilities: Regardless of trim or engine selection, the Tacoma's maximum towing capacity amounts to 1,587 kilos (3,500 lbs).
Safety: Standard features include stability and traction control, disc brakes with ABS, brake assist and electronic brake force distribution, as well as smart stop technology, which automatically cuts engine power and allows the brakes to take precedence over the accelerator when both pedals are pressed at the same time.
Comparing the 2015 Toyota Tacoma: The midsize pickup segment also includes the completely redesigned Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon as well as the Nissan Frontier and Honda Ridgeline.