According to Ford, more than 20% of Expedition owners use their SUV for off-road adventures, so the company is introducing an FX4 Off-Road Package that will allow them to go further and do more with their new 2018 Ford Expedition.
“The FX4 Off-Road package delivers off-road driving confidence,” said Mike Kipley, Expedition vehicle engineering manager. “The technology we’re using works to adapt to different driving conditions so customers can enjoy the adventure without worry.”
The FX4 Off-Road Package includes:
- - Patented electronic limited-slip rear differential to help improve off-road performance in low-traction situations by automatically varying power output side-to-side, depending on which wheels need extra traction. With 3.73:1 gearing, the electronic limited-slip rear differential also improves towing performance and capability
- - Off-road-tuned shocks more stiffly tuned to keep wheels in contact with the road
- - All-terrain tires with thicker sidewalls to maintain a smooth ride while delivering the traction needed over rough terrain
- - Seven different skid plates that serve as underbody armour and protect critical areas
- - Unique 18” Magnetic Metallic-painted cast-aluminum wheels
- - Chrome running boards
- - FX4 badging on the liftgate and front fender
- - New rubber floor liners featuring deep side sills that can be removed and cleaned of any mud, sand or water
The 2018 Ford Expedition FX4 Off-Road Package also has a potent 3.5L EcoBoost engine rated at 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque, plus standard Auto Start-Stop, an all-new 10-speed transmission, and available best-in-class towing of 9,300 lbs (see how it makes towing even easier now). It is built on an all-new, high-strength, aluminum-alloy body and redesigned high-strength steel frame.