WardsAuto has published its annual list of the 10 best engines in the auto industry. For 2015, 37 all-new or significantly revised powerplants were considered including many turbocharged units, four electric motors and – for the first time ever – a fuel cell system.
The competition pits the latest engines available in the U.S. against the returning winners from the previous year. Four of them successfully defended their title in 2015.
All entries fall under a base vehicle price cap of $60,000.
The trophies will be handed on January 14th, 2015, during a ceremony at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
Here are the 10 best engines available in 2015 according to WardsAuto (in alphabetical order):
- 127-kW Electric Motor (BMW i3 electric vehicle)
- 6.2L OHV V8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
- 6.2L Supercharged OHV V8 (Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat)
- 1.0L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (Ford Fiesta)
- 100-kW Fuel Cell (Hyundai Tucson FCV)
- 1.5L Turbocharged DOHC 3-cyl. (MINI Cooper)
- 3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. BOXER (Subaru WRX)
- 1.8L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volkswagen Golf)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo S60)