Auto123.com - Helping you drive happy

F1 Malaysia: Coulthard happy to return to RBR cockpit

|
Obtain the best financial rate for your car loan at Automobile En DirectTecnic
Khatir Soltani
By GMM

David Coulthard said he is happy to return to the cockpit of his Red Bull, despite the FIA's concern that the RB4 could be a 'dangerous construction'.

The Scot's front suspension shattered over a kerb in Friday practice in Malaysia, forcing him to sit out the afternoon session and rousing race stewards' concerns about the integrity of the Adrian Newey-penned car.

"I am not worried about my safety," said Coulthard, as officials compiled a technical report that the team hopes will allow them to carry on at Sepang.

"Mechanical failures are part and parcel of grand prix racing unfortunately," the 36-year-old added.

Coulthard, and team boss Christian Horner, are adamant that the failure was a one-off.

"One jumbo falls out of the sky you don't ground them," Coulthard continued.

"I am glad it happened here rather than Spa through Eau Rouge otherwise you would be picking bits of me out of the grandstand right now. F1 is a dangerous sport."



Khatir Soltani
Khatir Soltani
Automotive expert
  • Over 8 years experience as a car reviewer
  • Over 50 test drives in the last year
  • Involved in discussions with virtually every auto manufacturer in Canada