Unfortunately, the weather did hampered the activities on the track especially in the morning but once conditions improved, Hunter-Reay was able to set a best time of 1m05.6358.
Frenchman Simon Pagenaud (Schmidt) was second while Team Penske’s ace Will Power came close behind.
IndyCar newcomers, James Davison (Dale Coyne Racing) and Luca Filippi (Herta) had their chance to get acquainted with their new surroundings; the Australian finishing 21st while the former GP2 driver was 17th.
Teams were able to test a new aluminum steering arm, which has been released by Dallara in an effort to minimise the likelihood of hand and wrist injuries in certain types of accidents.
|Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. (Photo: IndyCar)|
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap Laps
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy 1m05.6358s 49
2. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m05.7965s +0.1607s 62
3. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m05.8206s +0.1848s 52
4. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy 1m05.9654s +0.3296s 61
5. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m05.9710s +0.3352s 50
6. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda 1m06.1025s +0.4667s 50
7. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy 1m06.1100s +0.4742s 37
8. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m06.1541s +0.5183s 32
9. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy 1m06.1716s +0.5358s 37
10. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda 1m06.2360s +0.6002s 71
11. James Jakes Rahal/Honda 1m06.2761s +0.6403s 47
12. Oriol Servia Panther/Chevy 1m06.3740s +0.7382s 61
13. Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy 1m06.4072s +0.7714s 57
14. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m06.4743s +0.8385s 52
15. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy 1m06.5502s +0.9144s 48
16. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy 1m06.6743s +1.0385s 48
17. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy 1m06.7436s +1.1078s 40
18. Luca Filippi Herta/Honda 1m06.7579s +1.1221s 56
19. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda 1m06.8079s +1.1721s 54
20. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m06.8416s +1.2058s 32
21. James Davison Coyne/Honda 1m07.0270s +1.3912s 39
22. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda 1m07.1307s +1.4949s 16
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 1m07.5398s +1.9040s 60
24. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m18.6062s +12.9704s 3