The Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada (VARAC) is gearing up for what promises to be the biggest, most exciting and best-attended event in its history.
The Canadian Historic Grand Prix is one of the most prestigious events on the Vintage and Historic Racing Calendar in North America and it is the largest and most popular event of its kind in Canada and counted as a "Major Spectator Event" at Mosport since 1999.
The annual pilgrimage of racers, race fans and car enthusiasts from across Canada and the United States will once again descend on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park just north of Bowmanville, Ontario with their Jaguars, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Corvettes, Mustangs, Cobras, Lotus, Minis and more to challenge the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit.
The 2014 CHGP will Feature the TRIUMPH vs MG Canadian-American SHOWDOWN. Triumph and MG cars of all descriptions will face off in what will be the largest ever battle of its kind in Canada and possibly the world.
The TRIUMPH vs MG Canadian-American SHOWDOWN will highlight the ongoing rivalry that has raged on ever since Sam Bird won the first ever race at Mosport in 1961 driving a Triumph TR3. That battle, now in its sixth decade will be once again fought out on Mosport's winding tarmac.
In full support of the upcoming event are the "Friends of Triumph" (FOT racers group) and the "MG Vintage Racers". A huge field of the combined marques is guaranteed and racing fans will once again be thrilled to witness a full grid of swarming, fast Triumphs and MGs challenge the Mosport tarmac and each other once again in some of the best door handle to door handle racing ever witnessed.
The 2014 CHGP will deliver three full days of exciting racing involving full grids for all Vintage and Historic racing machines from Minis to Mustangs and Canada Class open wheelers to Can-Am cars.
There will be racing for six groups of cars including Monoposto (single seat open-wheel vintage & historic race cars), Small Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (under 1800cc), Big Bore Vintage & Historic Cars (over 1800cc), Wings & Slicks (very fast purpose-built racing cars running on slick tires), G70+ Cars (cars dating from 1973 to 1989 including all kinds of Alfas, Corvettes, Porsches, Mustangs and a host of others) and the Featured Triumphs & MGs.
Spectators and car enthusiasts of all stripes will enjoy the scope and scale of experiences open to participation on the weekend such as:
* The "Checkered Flag Cruise" on Friday evening. The Cruise is open to all classic cars and admission to the park for the Checkered Flag Cruise is free. Nostalgia will hang thick in the air as with old time rock and roll blends with the "American Graffiti" atmosphere of classic cars and the vintage race theme. This event begs participation by spectators, classic car owners and car club members. Every kind of classic from VW Beetles to Rat Rods is welcome.
* Track Touring – On-track sessions will be are offered. Whether you are contemplating a future in racing, or itching to actually drive the track, to see and stretch your car's legs, to experience what it really is like out there at brisk but controlled speeds, this is your chance.
* Road Rally/Tour – a 100 mile rally/tour throughout the hills and dales and quaint villages of the local area, including a lunch stop on Saturday.
* Special Guest Speakers and Car Club Exhibits and Vendors.
* "Legends of Mosport Racer's Reunion" - Canadian Champion, Gary Magwood hosts this "meet the fans & Press" session Sunday morning. Open to all at no cost. Mix with old friends, racers and champions.
* "Legends of the Autobahn" Concours d'Elegance conducted by the Mercedes Benz Club of America on Sunday
* "Mini Meet North" all weekend - Canada's largest Mini gathering,
* "Field of Dreams" Car Show - welcoming hundreds of sports cars, classics and hot-rods, owners and car clubs from far and wide featuring Canada's largest on-track parade open to car show participants and featuring discounted park admission for entrants. Sunday morning. Join in! Great value, great fun!
* Free weekend camping courtesy Canadian Tire Motorsport Park