Cons: One of the Fusion's strengths is also a weakness. The MyFord Touch interface is prone to glitches, and many drivers feel frustrated with its use. Moreover, expect to sacrifice a good deal of trunk space when opting for the hybrid or Energi variant.
2014 Ford Fusion Price: This year, Ford offers 9 distinct trim levels including:
- S ($22,499), SE FWD ($24,599), SE AWD ($29,999), and Titanium ($33,999) for the gasoline-powered Fusion;
- S ($28,699), SE ($29,999), and Titanium ($35,499) for the Fusion Hybrid;
- SE ($38,899) and Titanium ($41,399) for the Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid).
2014 Ford Fusion Fuel Economy: Ratings for the standard Fusion vary from 8.0-9.5L/100km in the city and 5.3-6.3L/100km on the highway. The Fusion Hybrid obviously fares better (4.0 and 4.1L/100km, respectively), but not as much as the Fusion Energi (1.9L/100km equivalent in the city; 4.5L/100km average).
Improvements and Changes: New colours and options are available with the 2014 Ford Fusion. A third, smaller EcoBoost engine (1.5L) can be specified, too, although official performance figures have not been released at the time of writing.
Powertrain: Ford Fusion buyers have a choice of 5 engines for 2014:
- 2.5L 4-cylinder, naturally aspirated engine (175 hp, 175 lb-ft);
- 1.5L 4-cylinder, turbocharged EcoBoost engine;
- 1.6L 4-cylinder, turbocharged EcoBoost engine (178 hp, 184 lb-ft);
- 2.0L 4-cylinder, turbocharged EcoBoost engine (240 hp, 270 lb-ft);
- Hybrid system consisting of a 2.0L 4-cylinder, Atkinson-cycle engine with an electric motor (188 hp, 129 lb-ft total);
- Plug-in hybrid system consisting of a 2.0L 4-cylinder, Atkinson-cycle engine with an electric motor (188 hp, 129 lb-ft total);
Gasoline models come with a 6-speed automatic transmission (a 6-speed manual is also available with the 1.6L unit), while the Fusion Hybrid and Energi use a CVT. All-wheel drive and paddle shifters are only available with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine.
Cargo Capacity: The 2014 Ford Fusion has a big, 453-litre trunk. The Fusion Hybrid and Energi offer much less cargo space (340 and 232 litres, respectively) due to the location of the battery.
Safety: Eight airbags come standard with the 2014 Ford Fusion, along with AdvanceTrac stability control. Most trim levels are available with adaptive cruise control, active park assist, a rear camera, cross-traffic alert, and lane-keeping assist.
Comparing the 2014 Ford Fusion: Interested in buying an entry-level midsize sedan like the Fusion? Plenty of alternatives exist out there including the Chevrolet Malibu, Chrysler 200, Dodge Avenger, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Honda Accord, Mazda6, Nissan Altima, Subaru Legacy, Toyota Camry, and Volkswagen Passat.