The hot new 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 may just have stopped the earth’s rotation for 7:29.60 minutes. That’s the time it took to complete a lap on the famed Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany.
“To be almost 12 seconds quicker than the fifth-generation ZL1 is a testament to the advanced design and technology of the new ZL1,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer.
Other than the installation of data acquisition equipment, a roll hoop, and Sparco racing seats with 6-point harnesses, the car that lit up the Nürburgring was production stock. In case you need a reminder, highlights include:
- - 6.2L supercharged LT4 V8 rated at 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque;
- - All-new 10R90 10-speed automatic transmission (set to Track mode to enable Performance Algorithm Shift calibration);
- - FE4 suspension with Magnetic Ride Control;
- - Performance Traction Management;
- - Forged 20” wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires;
- - Brembo brakes with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers;
- - Lift-reducing front fascia elements with cooling ducts;
- - Full underbody shielding;
- - ZL1-specific rear spoiler and diffuser;
- - 11 heat exchangers.
Experience the feat from the driver’s seat: