Chaves, who was starting from pole position, maintained his lead right from the start and, soon enough, was able to build a gap of more than three seconds between himself and Peter Dempsey only to see the safety car make an appearance with only four laps to go.
|Gabby Chaves. (Photo: IndyCar)|
Once again, Chaves was forced to defend his lead on the restart but, despite pressure from Dempsey, the Colombian held on to cross the line 0.3s ahead.
Jack Hawksworth survived a tight battle for third while series’ leader Carlos Munoz finished fourth in front of Zach Veach.
Results - 40 laps:
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Gabby Chaves Schmidt 52m22.5112s
2. Peter Dempsey Belardi +0.3508s
3. Jack Hawksworth Schmidt +1.6782s
4. Carlos Muoz Andretti +2.3369s
5. Zach Veach Andretti +2.5952s
6. Juan Pablo Garcia Moore +3.5719s
7. Axcil Jefferies Herta +4.2458s
8. Sage Karam Schmidt +4.9242s
9. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi +5.4682s
10. Matthew Di Leo MDL/Dragffy +7.2483s
11. Giancarlo Serenelli Belardi +2 laps