But the afternoon was marred by a massive last-lap accident involving Dixon’s teammate Dario Franchitti and AJ Foyt’s Takuma Sato.
Franchitti was running behind Takuma Sato’s car when the former Formula One driver lost control of his car. That is when the Scot hit the back of Sato's DW12 and found himself in the air and along the fence, causing tremendous damage to the Ganassi car and sending several large pieces of debris in the direction of a nearby grandstand.
Franchitti remained in the wreckage until the medical team could extract him. He was taken directly to a nearby hospital for further evaluation.
Power took the lead from Dixon early in the race and, despite Dixon's best efforts; the Australian retained his advantage right to the end.
Dixon's second place gives him the lead of the IndyCar championship after Helio Castroneves had yet another terrible afternoon at the race track finishing more than 28 laps down.
Andretti Autosport’s James Hinchcliffe was back in good form after a terrible time Saturday by finishing third. Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne) and Sebastien Bourdais (Dragon Racing) rounded out the top five.
The race was interrupted eight times by caution periods, most coming from spins or single-car accidents.
Results - 90 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time/Gap
1. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1h52m28.9525s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda +0.8286s
3. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy +4.3629s
4. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda +5.0234s
5. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy +8.0120s
6. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda +11.0712s
7. Oriol Servia Panther/Chevy +14.0815s
8. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda +15.1566s
9. Mike Conway Coyne/Honda +15.5568s
10. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy +31.3618s
11. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda +32.9460s
12. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy +38.3799s
13. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda +1m19.5633s
14. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda +1 lap*
15. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda +1 lap*
16. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy +1 lap*
17. James Jakes Rahal/Honda +1 lap
18. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda +2 laps
19. Luca Filippi Herta/Honda +2 laps
20. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy +2 laps
21. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy +3 laps
* Not running at finish
Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 61 laps
Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 53 laps**
Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy 32 laps