Ontario is making the province's roads safer for all Ontarians with new changes that will help protect young and novice drivers.
Starting August 1:
·All drivers 21 years of age and younger must have a zero blood alcohol level when they get behind the wheel or face:
- An immediate 24-hour licence suspension
- 30-day licence suspension
- Up to $500 in fines
- 30-day licence suspension for the first instance
- 90-day licence suspension for a second instance
- Further instances can lead to a cancellation of the licence and other penalties.
These changes are part of the Road Safety Act 2009 and 2007's Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act and will help keep drivers safe on Ontario roads.