Auto123.com - Helping you drive happy

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes latest news

|
Obtain the best financial rate for your car loan at Automobile En DirectTecnic
Khatir Soltani

Alonso could retire - Spanish source

One option for 2008 possibly under consideration by Fernando Alonso is a sabbatical or even retirement, according to one of the Spaniard's closest media confidantes.

Antonio Lobato, a correspondent for the Marca newspaper and commentator for Spanish F1 broadcaster Telecinco, said in Turkey that 26-year-old Alonso is so unhappy at McLaren that he might not feature on next year's grid at all.

"More probable is a sabbatical year", Lobato wrote in Marca when contemplating speculated moves for Alonso to Renault or Ferrari.

He added: "But you cannot discard a definitive retirement, although it is less probable and would also depend on him winning the world title (this year)."

As to why Alonso would take a sabbatical and then return in 2009, Lobato reckons: "Fernando would only move to a team in which he has options to win.

"This is the problem. Ferrari has two drivers with contracts and BMW will have Heidfeld and Kubica next year."

Ecclestone slams McLaren Turkey no-show

Bernie Ecclestone in Turkey slammed Ron Dennis' decision to prohibit both McLaren drivers from travelling to the formula one circuit outside of Istanbul on Thursday.

Instead, feuding drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton, and other leading team figures including boss Dennis, met at the plush downtown hotel 'Conrad' for 'clear-the-air talks' following their Hungary bust-up.

But their notable absence at the circuit meant that they could not complete ordinary pre-grand prix routines, such as walking the circuit, and it also drew the ire of the attending media who had to make do without access to the two leading title protagonists.

The Turkey incident follows Hungary three weeks ago, when McLaren officials gagged the drivers from speaking to the press.

"I believe that Ron is not handling the fight between his drivers well," F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told Spanish press, including the newspaper Diario As.

"It is not a good decision to stop them from coming here. I don't know what is going on. It's strange and it is not good for F1."

One of reigning world champion Alonso's only media engagements in the city on Thursday was a karting event for team sponsor Vodafone.

Shortly before a press conference, one of McLaren's PR representatives warned that the 26-year-old would not be talking about Hungary, the espionage scandal or his teammate Hamilton.

In La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ecclestone was also quoted as saying: "I do not understand. If a driver does not want to answer a question, he is big enough to say 'I do not want to answer' or 'I cannot answer that'.

"It would have been better if they had been here today, but tomorrow they must be here and they cannot refuse to talk."

Khatir Soltani
Khatir Soltani
Automotive expert
  • Over 8 years experience as a car reviewer
  • Over 50 test drives in the last year
  • Involved in discussions with virtually every auto manufacturer in Canada