The list of the 10 best engines in the world for 2016, as determined by WardsAuto, includes four American engines and — for the first time ever — three electric motors.
The magazine editors selected the winners after spending October and November studying and driving all 31 nominees in real-word conditions and situations (daily commutes, stops at the grocery store, family trips, etc.). They then scored each engine based on horsepower, torque, comparative specs, noise attenuation, fuel economy, and the application of new technology.
Here are their 10 best engines for 2016, in alphabetical order:
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I6 (BMW 340i)
- 3.6L DOHC V6 (Chevrolet Camaro/Cadillac ATS)
- 1.5L DOHC 4-cyl./120-kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
- 5.2L DOHC V8 (Ford Mustang Shelby GT350)
- 2.0L DOHC 4-cyl./50-kW Drive Motor (Hyundai Sonata PHEV)
- 3.5L DOHC V6 (Nissan Maxima)
- 3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. BOXER (Subaru WRX)
- 1.8L DOHC 4-cyl./53-kW Drive Motor (Toyota Prius)
- 2.0L Turbocharged/Supercharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo XC90)