Auto123.com - Helping you drive happy

5 Reasons to Switch from All-Season Tires to Winter Tires

Article provided by PMCtire.com

Every year when winter comes, it’s the same thing all over again. Millions of Canadians rush to prepare their vehicle for the snow, the ice, the slush and the cold weather. Some consider winter tires to be essential to their survival. And although it has been proven that the use of tires especially designed for winter reduces the number of collision injuries, others think they’re a waste of money.

According to the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada, only 60% of Canadians living outside Quebec (where winter tires are mandatory) are making the change. Here are a few reasons that we hope will convince the remaining 40% to ditch their all-season tires for winter ones:

  • 1. At first glance, one might think that the main difference between winter and all-weather tires is the tread. In truth, it’s the rubber compound that does most of the job. Designed to remain soft under 7 °C, it’s able to stay elastic and stick to the road, providing superior grip. On the contrary, the rubber compound all-season tires are made of stiffens when it gets cold, causing them to slip on snow and ice-covered pavement.
  •  
  • 2. Unlike all-season tires, winter tires are engineered to evacuate water. When pressing on ice or snow, they melt the surface layer which transforms into a film of water. Equipped with hundreds of sipes, winter tires channel that water to the side, preventing hydroplaning.
  •  
  • 3. All-wheel drive vehicles are great, but they are not winter-proof. They might be better at accelerating, but they’re not better at stopping. When it comes to braking and cornering, you’ll be significantly safer with winter tires, no matter the number of driven wheels.
  •  
  • 4. In emergency situations, being able to quickly stop your vehicle is crucial. With their advanced technology, today’s winter tires ensure shorter stopping distances. Experts say that below 0 °C, a vehicle equipped with all-season tires stops on a 30% longer distance.
  •  
  • 5. Winter tires come with deeper and more aggressive treads, especially made to cut into snow and slush. On the contrary, all-season tires are not designed to clear the snow and are considerably less effective in winter conditions. They offer much less grip on ice, too.

There are a lot more reasons why we think you should ditch your all-season tires to upgrade to winter tires. Not only do they prove to be much more efficient in cold weather, but they also save lives. If you are looking for more information or advice on winter tires, visit Auto123.com's Tires section or PMCtire.com.