Pros: It’s a Porsche. And it’s a 911. And it still drives and looks like a dream.
Cons: You’ll have to choose just one, unless you can afford copies, in which case might I suggest a Carrera 4S?
2015 Porsche 911 Carrera Price and Fuel Economy: There are no fewer than eight Carrera models to choose from. Overwhelming? Perhaps a little, but they all have something different to offer, including price points.
- Porsche 911 Carrera: $96,200; 11L/100km city, 7.2L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera S: $112,800; 11.1L/100km city, 7.2L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet: $109,800; 10.9L/100km city, 7.3L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet: $126,400; 11.2L/100km city, 7.4L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4: $103,900; 10.9L/100km city, 7.2L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4S: $120,500; 11.3L/100km city, 7.5L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet: $117,400; 11.2L/100km city, 7.5L/100km highway
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet: $134,100; 11.4L/100km city, 7.7L/100km highway.
Improvements and Changes: You can’t improve on perfection, and Porsche recognizes this. And they’ve kept it virtually unchanged since the previous generation, save for some external tweaks and upgrades to features. However, the heart and soul (engine) remains the same. There is the oh-so-glorious 7-speed manual transmission available now, along with the ever-amazing PDK automatic number.
Powertrain: Base Carrera models are all equipped with Porsche’s 3.4L boxer engines good for 350 horsepower and 287 lb-ft of torque. 0-100 sprints happen in 4.6 seconds with the 7-speed manual box.
All Carrera S models come with a 3.8L boxer engine with direct injection that produces 400 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque. Equipped with PDK, the Carrera S can reach 100 from a standstill in just 4.3 seconds.
911 Carrera models are all RWD (rear-wheel drive) unless equipped with a “4” on the rear in which case they are AWD with a rear-wheel bias until slippage is detected.
Safety: All Porsche 911 Carrera models come equipped with the latest in hi-tech safety features including driver and passenger airbags, Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (on S models), LED headlights, and PSM (Porsche Stability Management).
Cargo Capacity: You don’t buy a Carrera for its trunk space, that’s for sure. The vehicle itself is only a 2+2 and the backseats aren’t really usable by adults for any length of time. Front storage space is just 145 litres.
Comparing the 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera: Audi R8, BMW 6 Series, Jaguar XK, Mercedes-Benz SL Class.