What are the best car engines in the world? The 2017 International Engine of the Year awards were handed recently, and once again Ferrari’s new 3.9L twin-turbo V8 is the cream of the crop.
Another Ferrari engine, the 6.3L V12, was in the running along with powerplants from Porsche, Audi, Tesla, Ford, BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroen.
Here are the winners for the various categories. Click on the links for a review.
- International Engine of The Year: Ferrari 3.9L twin-turbo V8
- New Engine: Honda 3.5L V6 electric-gasoline hybrid
- Green Engine: Tesla full-electric powertrain
- Electric Powertrain: Tesla full-electric powertrain
- Performance Engine: Ferrari 3.9L twin-turbo V8
- Sub 1.0L: Ford 999cc 3-cylinder turbo;
- 1.0L-1.4L: PSA Peugeot Citroën 1.2L 3-cylinder turbo
- 1.4L-1.8L: BMW 1.5L 3-cylinder hybrid
- 1.8L-2.0L: Porsche 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo
- 2.0L-2.5L: Audi 2.5L 5-cylinder turbo
- 2.5L-3.0L: Porsche 3.0L 6-cylinder turbo;
- 3.0L-4.0L: Ferrari 3.9L twin-turbo V8
- Over 4.0L: Ferrari 6.3L V12