Every year, Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) announces its awards for the Canadian vehicles of the year in a variety of categories.
Winners are announced gradually over a few months, and the last ones were unveiled last week at the 2018 Vancouver International Auto Show.
The last two categories were the most eco-conscious: Canadian Green Car of the Year and Canadian Green Utility Vehicle of the Year.
AJAC members place their votes in each category after having analyzed nominated vehicles in depth, in a variety of road and weather conditions. Pre-set criteria allowed each to analyze every vehicle ion a rigorous and consistent manner. For green vehicles, that meant looking at range, driving dynamics, placement on the market and value offered. Another element considered was the position each model holds within its own segment.
Canadian Green Car of the Year
The finalists in this category were the Volkswagen e-Golf, Chevrolet Bolt EV and Hyundai IONIQ electric. The winner? The Chevrolet Bolt EV.
Canadian Green Utility Vehicle of the Year
In the SUV category, the finalists were the Kia Niro, Subaru Crosstrek and Chrysler Pacifica. The winner here was the 2018 Kia Niro, the new crossover from the South Korean automaker.
"It's more important than ever for AJAC's members to recognize the most environmentally-aware vehicles that are available to Canadian drivers, and to tell the buying public about them. These vehicles are the future of transportation and they contribute in their own way to the future of our planet. It's essential that Canadians make the right decisions when buying and driving cars and utility vehicles, and we're proud that our awards help them with this choice."
- Mark Richardson, AJAC President
2018 Winners of the other categories previously announced were the following:
- Canadian Car Of The Year - Honda Accord – review – specifications
- Canadian Utility Vehicle Of The Year - Chrysler Pacifica – specifications
- Best City Car - Volkswagen e-Golf – review
- Best Small Car - Mazda3 – specifications
- Best Large Car - Honda Accord
- Best Small Premium Car - Jaguar XE – review – specifications
- Best Large Premium Car - Volvo S90 / V90
- Best Sports - Performance Car - Volkswagen Golf R – review
- Best Premium Sports - Performance Car - Jaguar F-TYPE – review
- Best Convertible - Mercedes-Benz SL
- Best Small Utility Vehicle - Mazda CX-5 – specifications
- Best Large Utility Vehicle - Mazda CX-9 – specifications
- Best Small Premium Utility Vehicle - Range Rover Velar – review
- Best Large Premium Utility Vehicle - Acura MDX – review
- Best Minivan - Chrysler Pacifica
- Best Pick-Up Truck - Ram 1500 – specifications