Auto123.com - Helping you drive happy

IndyCar: Danica Patrick confirms not running 2013 Indy 500

|
Obtain the best financial rate for your car loan at Automobile En DirectTecnic
Khatir Soltani
Former IndyCar series' driver, Danica Patrick confirmed Thursday that she will not contest this year's Indy 500, round of the IZOD IndyCar series.

Patrick, who recently made her debuts in the NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup series wants to focus this year on her first full-time season on NASCAR's highest level of competition.

Now a member of the Stewart Haas team, Patrick will contest the full Sprint Cup and will run the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on the same day as the Indy 500 in May.

"The team and I decided to focus on (Sprint) Cup,” Danica said during a press conference held in Daytona.

“It's going to be plenty of work as it is, and it's going to be important for me running for the championship full-time for the first time to really keep myself focused with the Cup car," Patrick said.

NASCAR Danica Patrick Tony Stewart
Danica Patrick with her new boss, Tony Stewart. (Photo: Getty Images for NASCAR)

The recently divorced Patrick added that her 2013 schedule also could include some Nationwide series events, although she has not yet signed a deal with a racing team or sponsor.

"I'm not sure if that's completely set. There have been some reports that have come out about running for Turner, and we're definitely talking to them trying to figure it out," Danica Patrick said.

"We're definitely working on that, but there's been nothing signed yet, and the exact dates and the sponsor has yet to be confirmed for all that."


Khatir Soltani
Khatir Soltani
Automotive expert
  • Over 8 years experience as a car reviewer
  • Over 50 test drives in the last year
  • Involved in discussions with virtually every auto manufacturer in Canada